Get ready to embrace your inner boho goddess! Bohemian style is having a major moment in fashion right now, with its effortlessly cool vibes and vintage-inspired aesthetic. And the boho trend goes far beyond just Coachella looks. One of the staple silhouettes of the movement is the bohemian midi dress. Midi dress lengths hit below the knee or mid-calf for an incredibly flattering fit on all body types. Pair that with floaty, romantic fabrics and details like flutter sleeves, tassels and embroidery, and you’ve got the perfect boho dress recipe.
In this post, we’ll break down everything you need to know about rocking the boho midi dress trend. First up is a roundup of our picks for the top 5 bohemian midi dress styles that are perfect for the free-spirited at heart. Next, we’ll get into the nitty gritty of how to choose a midi dress that flatters your figure. And finally, we’ll tackle some frequently asked questions about how to wear, style, and care for bohemian dresses so you can look like a flower child pro.
So come along on this bohemian style adventure! We’ll help you channel your inner Woodstock goddess and build an arsenal of effortlessly chic midi dresses for everything from summer festivals to backyard barbecues and beyond.
Top 5 Bohemian Midi Dresses
When it comes to nailing the boho midi dress trend, silhouette and fabric are everything. You want something flowy and lightweight that flatters your shape. Consider details like off-the-shoulder necklines, bell sleeves, and tie belts that cinch the waist. Fabrics like chiffon, lace and viscose have that dreamy drape perfect for a bohemian aesthetic. And don’t be afraid to pick a bold floral or paisley print!
To get your boho inspiration going, here are our top 5 picks for must-have bohemian midi dresses:
Floral Print Wrap Dress
This adjustable wrap dress checks all the boho boxes. It’s crafted from an lightweight, flowy viscose fabric with a vibrant blue, pink and yellow floral print allover. The silhouette features a surplice V-neckline and fluttery 3/4 sleeves, along with a self-tie wrap belt that accentuates the waist. This style hits a perfect midi length below the knee.
Wear it: With strappy flat sandals or tan wedges for weekend activities like going to the farmers market. The floral pattern and billowy sleeves give off total bohemian vibes.
Off-the-Shoulder Cotton Dress
This off-the-shoulder dress keeps things simple, making it endlessly versatile. Made of a soft, lightweight cotton, it has a smocked neckline that extends just off one shoulder, with short peasant sleeves on the other side. The silhouette skims over curves without being too fitted. And it hits a midi length that’s super flattering.
Style it: Throw on a classic denim jacket and ankle booties to dress down this dress for casual wear. The off-the-shoulder neckline balances the covered-up lower half.
Tiered Maxi Dress
While midi lengths are having a major moment, boho maxis deserve some love too! This stunner features a strappy silhouette with a straight neckline, adjustable spaghetti straps, and a tiered skirt dotted with mini ruffle trims that sway with you as you walk. The look screams bohemian, especially in the vibrant floral print that incorporates shades of purple, peach, yellow and green.
Accessorize it: Play up the maxi length by pairing it with flat lace-up gladiator sandals and a floppy sun hat for vacation or festival wear. Delicate golden jewelry keeps things feminine.
Lace Midi Dress
For boho with a romantic vibe, lace is the way to go. This midi length dress has a soft yet substantial lace overlay allover, with lightweight lining underneath. The look features a scoop neckline and unlined 3/4 sleeves with scalloped lace trim for added dimension. Hits below the knee for that perfect midi spot.
Dress it up: Add some edge by layering a distressed jean jacket and ankle booties over this dress. Keep hair and makeup minimal to let the ornate lace detailing shine.
Bell Sleeve Dress
Last but certainly not least is the bell sleeve dress, which is boho magic. Made from an airy chiffon fabric, it has a smocked bodice with slender spaghetti straps and long, exaggerated bell sleeves that almost hit the floor. Subtle ruffle trim adorns the plunging neckline and sleeves.
Fancy occasion outfit: For weddings, engagement photos and events, style this dress with sparkly jewelry, embroidered handbags and barely-there heels. The bell sleeves make a seriously dramatic (and on-trend) statement.
How to Choose the Right Bohemian Midi Dress for You
The boho aesthetic might seem effortless, but there are a few things to keep in mind when picking out the perfect bohemian midi dress for your body type and personal style. Follow these tips and you’ll nail it every time:
Consider Your Body Shape
When selecting any dress, it’s smart to think about which silhouettes will be most flattering for your body type.
- Pear shapes tend to have fuller hips and a smaller bust. To balance your shape, look for wrap dresses or empire waist styles that cinch under the bust. Ruching at the waist also helps emphasize your upper half.
- Rectangle figures do well with fit-and-flare silhouettes that add definition at the waist and volume at the hips and hem. Look for midi dresses with smocked bodices and A-line skirts.
- Hourglass figures can pull off body-skimming but not body-con looks. Column silhouettes and sheath dresses complement your balanced proportions. Watch necklines and waistlines to emphasize your assets.
The boho vibe is all about flowy shapes that skim your silhouette without clinging too tightly. Keep the focus on billowy sleeves, fluid fabrics and ornate prints instead of overly fitted styles.
Pick Necklines and Sleeves You Feel Good In
Because bohemian style tends to involve more bare skin, consider which necklines you feel comfortable and confident in. Off-the-shoulder looks are super on-trend, but may require adjustments like subtle bra pads or convertible bra straps to keep everything in place. Halter necklines also show skin while offering more support.
For sleeve length, short fluttery styles balance out a lower neckline while still allowing you move freely. You can also look for smocking or adjustable ties at racerback necklines to ensure adequate support. Some boho dresses even have a built-in shelf bra, letting you skip wearing one entirely.
Pay Attention to Fabrics and Prints
When it comes to that dreamy boho vibe, fabrics and prints pack a punch. Lightweight, flowy fabrics like chiffon and viscose have beautiful drape and movement that flutter nicely with midi hemlines. Intricate details like lace inserts, crochet and embroidery also speak to the wanderlust bohemian aesthetic.
Bold floral prints in vibrant colors feel straight from the 1960s flower child era. Paisleys and bohemian-inspired patterns also fit right in. Look for a scale and color palette that complements your complexion. Boho style encourages you to take risks – so go bold!
Make Sure Length Is Flattering
One of the nice things about bohemian style is that it’s usually more forgiving when it comes to lengths. But for the most attractive fit, pay attention to where midi hemlines fall on your frame:
- Midi typically refers to hitting below the knee or mid-calf. This length is the most universally flattering.
- Shorter women may prefer maxi lengths that don’t overwhelm the frame. Look for empire waists.
- Taller women can opt for ankle- or floor-length hems that better suit their height. Just avoid looking overwhelmed with volume.
Try things on and walk around to gauge how the length feels. You want enough fabric to flow nicely without excess material bunching up.
Carefully Choose Fabric and Construction
You want your bohemian dress to stand the test of time, so check out fabric composition and construction details like:
- Natural fibers like cotton, linen and silk that feel nice and allow skin to breathe in warm weather.
- Stretchier fabrics like jersey that accommodate curves comfortably.
- Lined dresses that aren’t too sheer if your fabric is lightweight.
- Reinforced seams, hem and straps that won’t rip or fray easily with wear and movement.
Checking fabric content can also help you identify items that require delicate washing or hang drying to protect the integrity of the dress over time.
Envision Styling and Versatility
Bohemian style dressing often involves layers, so think about how you’ll style your dress for different occasions. Lightweight kimono cardigans, jean jackets and longer duster coats all complement the look. So do accessories like floppy sun hats, woven slides or sandals and fringe shoulder bags.
Also consider versatility. Could you dress up that causal printed midi with wedges and statement jewelry for a summer wedding? Or add tights, tall boots and a moto jacket to wear it around town in colder months? Go for picks you can work into your wardrobe year-round.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bohemian Midi Dresses
Let’s dive into some nitty gritty questions about fit, styling, wear and care for bohemian dresses so you can rock the look confidently:
How Should Bohemian Midi Dresses Fit?
The overall vibe of boho style calls for pieces that drape and flow loosely rather than hug every curve. These dresses are designed to have a:
- Relaxed, easy fit through the torso and sleeves
- Looser top with smocking or adjustable ties to nip in at waist
- Flowy A-line or tiered skirt that doesn’t cling to hips and thighs
Details like fluttery bell sleeves, airy chiffon fabrics and maxi lengths all add to the effortless billow factor. The silhouette should skim your frame without feeling restrictive.
What Bra Works Best With Boho Dresses?
Because bohemian styles tend to have plunging necklines and lots of straps, traditional bras often don’t work. Opt for:
- Bandeaus, bralettes or strapless bras to keep lines smooth. Look for removable straps you can configure to work with various necklines.
- Try built-in shelf bras with dresses that have them so you can skip wearing an undergarment entirely.
- Use fashion tape, nipple covers or sticky bras for the most daring low-cut or open-back dresses. Test these out at home first before wearing all day.
The key is finding options that provide comfortable support while leaving you free to move in that flowy silhouette.
Are Boho Midi Dresses Only For Summer?
While bohemian dresses conjure up visions of wandering barefoot through sunflower fields, you can absolutely wear them beyond summer with the right styling:
- Pair with leather or denim jackets and ankle boots when temperatures drop.
- Try tights in funky patterns under your dress and add tall boots.
- Go for velvet, corduroy or sweater knit fabrics that transition nicely into fall and winter. Look for long sleeves.
- Add layers like ponchos, capes or long cardigans for chillier weather. Consider scarves and hats too.
With the right materials and styling, boho dresses work wonderfully in any season!
How Should I Accessorize My Boho Dress?
The accessories really make or break achieving that carefree bohemian vibe. Play with pieces like:
- Stacked bracelets, long pendant necklaces, hoops or tassel earrings. Go bold.
- Headbands, scarves or floppy sun hats lend a retro hippie feel.
- Braided leather belts or fabric sashes cinch dresses at the waist.
- Fringe shoulder bags, hobo bags or macrame purses for all your essentials.
- Woven slides, lace-up gladiator sandals or neutral block heels. Let dresses take center stage.
Have fun mixing and stacking jewelry in metals like gold, silver and turquoise for visual interest. Display your inner flower child!
Where Can You Wear Bohemian Dresses?
The beauty of boho style is that it works for so many occasions! Feel free to don these dresses for:
- Casual daytime activities like farmers markets, festivals, backyard BBQs.
- Weekend brunch, garden parties, baby showers.
- Outdoor summer concerts, art fairs and museums.
- Romantic date nights or evenings out with a lightweight jacket.
- Beach vacations, tropical getaways, summer camping trips.
- Casual weddings as a guest when paired with wedges or strappy sandals.
Anytime you want to embody that wandering spirit, a boho dress has you covered!
How Should You Care for Boho Dresses?
To keep your bohemian dresses looking their best:
- Always follow care instructions to avoid shrinkage or damage. Most require gentle washing in cold water and air drying instead of the dryer.
- Store dresses in a garment bag to protect embellishments from snagging and shape from stretching out.
- Steam (don’t iron) delicate fabrics like silk, chiffon and lace to remove wrinkles without crushing details. Let dresses hang after steaming.
- Spot clean stains gently with a damp cloth and mild detergent instead of soaking entire dress. Don’t scrub.
- Avoid or minimize dry cleaning which can degrade fabrics and finishes over time.
- Make minor repairs promptly like re-sewing loose straps or hems to avoid further damage.
With some simple care, your boho dresses can last season after season!
Embrace Your Inner Boho Goddess!
There you have it – everything you need to know to start dressing with that effortless bohemian style. From our top midi dress picks to flattering your figure to accessorizing and styling tips, we hope this guide helps unleash your inner free-spirited hippie chick!
Which bohemian midi dress is your favorite? How do you like to style this dreamy look? Let us know in the comments below! We’d love to see your creative boho outfit ideas. And don’t forget to embrace the mantra that perfectly sums up the wanderlust bohemian style mindset: “She was made of sunflowers, not clocks.” Happy styling!