Relaxed blazers have become a mainstream staple in women’s wardrobes, thanks to their ability to add a pulled-together yet casual vibe to any outfit. While solid colors are versatile, patterned relaxed blazers are an effortless way to incorporate eye-catching prints and textures into your look.
From polished florals to classic buffalo plaid, the variety of patterns available in relaxed blazers makes it easy to express your personal style. Paired with jeans, dresses, skirts and more, these blazers are designed in silhouettes that skim the body for a relaxed fit that’s still shaped and chic.
In this post, we’ll recommend the top 5 must-have patterned relaxed blazers for your closet. You’ll discover beautiful blazers with on-trend patterns and colors in fabrics like lightweight linen and breathable cotton. We’ll also provide tips on how to select the right patterned blazer for your wardrobe, along with style ideas for wearing these versatile pieces.
So curl up with a cup of coffee or tea, and get ready to find your new favorite layered look!
What is a Relaxed Blazer?
Before diving into the patterned blazers, let’s clarify what defines this popular style. Relaxed blazers have a loosely tailored silhouette that falls softly over the body. The shoulders are not overly padded, and the fabrics have a nice drape. This creates an effortless, laidback look perfect for everyday wear.
While still structured enough to be flattering, relaxed blazers veer away from the stiff, boxy shapes of traditional suit jackets. The softer tailoring allows you to layer a blazer without looking overdone. For a foolproof way to add polish to casual looks, relaxed blazers are perfect.
These blazers stem from menswear-inspired style, but the oversized fit is refined to be chic and feminine. You’ll also see relaxed blazers made from lightweight materials, like linen, that enhance the casual vibe. This balance of tailoring and softness makes relaxed blazers beloved additions to women’s closets.
Top 5 Patterned Women’s Relaxed Blazers
Now let’s explore the dreamy patterns and prints you can find in relaxed blazers for women today! From floral to graphic prints, stripes, plaids and more, the options are varied and vibrant.
Floral Print Relaxed Blazer
Florals are a go-to pattern for spring and summer. A floral print blazer, like this one from Anthropologie, radiates a romantic, feminine vibe:
- Fabric: Lightweight cotton with an embroidered floral motif in shades of pink, coral, yellow, green and ivory
- Fit: Relaxed silhouette with a double-breasted closure, front patch pockets, and ruched three-quarter sleeves with button cuffs
- Pros: The floral print is youthful and feminine. Cotton fabrication makes it ideal for warm weather. Three-quarter sleeves give it a retro vibe.
- Cons: The light cotton may wrinkle easily. Dry clean only.
- How to Wear It: Perfect to layer over breezy dresses and casual separates. Adds a pop of floral to every day jeans and tees. Great for date nights, garden parties, bridal events, and summer travel.
Capture the essence of spring in this darling floral print relaxed blazer. Pair it with everything from sundresses to shorts for an instant dose of girly style.
Polka Dot Relaxed Blazer
Polka dots are a timeless pattern that brings playful flair. This polka dot blazer from Mango has retro flair:
- Fabric: Lightweight woven fabric with black and white polka dots
- Fit: Oversized fit through the body with notch lapels, long sleeves, and side pockets
- Pros: The black and white palette is classy and versatile. Oversized fit provides ease of movement. Eye-catching polka dots add personality.
- Cons: May need tailoring for an ideal relaxed fit. Dry clean recommended.
- How to Wear It: Style with neutral basics, an A-line skirt, or trousers. Great for the office, weekends, travel, and nights out.
Polka dots are perfectly punchy in this relaxed blazer. It’ll quickly become a favorite layering piece thanks to its stand-out pattern and easy fit.
Buffalo Plaid Relaxed Blazer
Buffalo plaid is a popular fall and winter pattern that pairs well with denim and knits. Madewell uses soft cotton for this tomboy-chic blazer:
- Fabric: Cotton buffalo plaid in classic red, black and white
- Fit: Slouchy oversized fit with drop shoulders, long sleeves, side pockets and open front
- Pros: The cotton fabric has beautiful drape. Oversized fit creates a casual, boyfriend vibe. Classic plaid pattern flatters most figures.
- Cons: Runs large – may need tailoring. Dry clean recommended to maintain the cotton fabric.
- How to Wear It: Perfect over t-shirts, button-downs and turtlenecks. Great with jeans, leggings or trousers for weekends and travel.
Give your seasonal wardrobe cozy buffalo plaid flair with this effortlessly cool cotton blazer. It’ll bring stylish texture to fall and winter outfits.
Paisley Print Relaxed Blazer
Paisley is an ornate print inspired by Persian designs. Anthropologie uses a muted palette for this boho blazer:
- Fabric: Lightweight woven fabric with a subtle paisley print in grey, mauve, cream and brown
- Fit: Relaxed silhouette with long sleeves, open front, and front patch pockets
- Pros: The intricate paisley design has a global vibe. Neutral palette provides versatility. Lightweight feel makes it perfect for transitional weather.
- Cons: Delicate fabric requires gentle wash care. May need tailoring across shoulders for ideal relaxed fit.
- How to Wear It: Style open over tanks and tees or closed with the sleeves cuffed. Great with jeans, trousers, skirts and dresses.
Channel wanderlust spirit in this paisley print blazer. Its global motif and muted tones make it easy to dress up or down effortlessly.
Graphic Print Relaxed Blazer
From abstract patterns to geometric motifs, graphic prints are an artistic choice. LOFT’s relaxed blazer has a mesmerizing abstract print:
- Fabric: Lightweight crepe with a black and white abstract graphic print
- Fit: Oversized fit through the body with notch lapels, front button closure, and front flap pockets
- Pros: Artsy abstract print for fashion-forward style. Black and white palette goes with anything. Crepe fabrication drapes beautifully.
- Cons: Dry clean recommended to maintain the crepe fabric. May wrinkle easily.
- How to Wear It: Style open over tanks and tees to showcase the print. Also looks chic with trousers, skirts and jeans.
Make a stylish artistic statement in this graphic print blazer. The mesmerizing abstract print will ignite any basics in your closet.
How to Choose the Right Patterned Relaxed Blazer
With so many gorgeous patterns to choose from, how do you select the right blazer for your wardrobe? Here are tips for picking patterns, colors, fabrics and silhouettes when shopping for a patterned relaxed blazer:
Consider Your Personal Style
Do you tend to gravitate toward feminine florals or prefer classic plaids? Selecting patterns you naturally lean towards will ensure you get the most use from your blazer.
Choose Appealing Color Palettes
Look for colors you love and that flatter your complexion. Neutrals like black and white are easy to match, while earth tones, jewel tones and brights add cheerful pops of color.
Mind the Scale of Prints
Delicate floral and polka dot prints have a different effect than oversized buffalo plaid. Make sure the scale suits your body type. Petite figures can be overwhelmed by plaids, while larger scales work well for tall or plus size body types.
Select Patterns by Season
Light, colorful patterns in florals, stripes and graphic prints are perfect for spring and summer. Save hounds tooth, plaid and tweed blazers for the fall and winter months when you want cozy texture.
See It in Person If Possible
Don’t rely solely on online images. Seeing fabric drape and pattern scale in real life can help prevent disappointment. Trying on the garment is wise too.
Choose Quality Fabrics
Breathable natural fabrics that feel nice on your skin will maximize wearing comfort. Linen, cotton, textured knits, crepe and lightweight jacquards are great fabric options.
Aim for an Oversized (But Not Too Oversized) Fit
The right relaxed blazer skims your frame without looking sloppy. An ideal jacket should be loose but not dwarf your figure. Petite women should avoid oversized jackets to prevent looking swallowed up.
Style Tips for Patterned Relaxed Blazers
The beauty of relaxed blazers is their versatility. You can easily dress them up or down to suit any occasion or season. Here are style tips to look fab:
Pair with Solid Basics
Let patterned blazers shine by teaming them with simple solid pieces like basic tees, tanks, button-downs, sweaters, jeans, trousers, skirts, etc. Avoid clashing loud patterns.
Roll and Cuff the Sleeves
Cuff or push up the sleeves for a more laidback vibe. This works especially well on blazers with fun printed lining.
Wear Open Over Dresses and Tanks
Open blazers make breezy lightweight layers over dresses, tanks and camis for the spring and summer. Add some jewelry to dress it up.
Tie at the Waist
For a more nipped-in silhouette, tie patterned blazers closed at the waist. This puts emphasis on an hourglass figure.
Mix with White Jeans and Heels
Crisp white jeans or trousers pop against patterned blazers. Pair with heels or wedges when dressing up.
Work for the Office or Weekends
Depending on fabrics and fits, blazers work for both professional and casual settings. Just style them appropriately.
Great for Transitional Weather
Lightweight blazers add the perfect layer when temperatures fluctuate. Much better than a coat if it turns warm.
Cottons and linens work for spring and summer, while wools and tweeds transition perfectly into fall and winter weather when layered over sweaters.
Play with Different Looks
Tailor your vibe by wearing blazers closed with a sleek cami for work or open and casual over a tee on weekends. Have fun with it!
Patterned Relaxed Blazer FAQs
Relaxed blazers are meant to make getting dressed easy, but you may still have questions about choosing and wearing them. Here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
What patterns work best for relaxed blazers?
Honestly, you can rock any pattern in a relaxed blazer! Florals, polka dots, graphic prints, paisley, buffalo plaid, stripes, houndstooth and more are all fair game. Mixing patterns and textures together can create really interesting designs too. Go with patterns that appeal most to your personal style.
What colors and color palettes look best?
For versatility, basic black and white patterns always work and can be integrated into any wardrobe. If you want to make more of a statement, earth tones like olive green and rust orange have an earthy chicness. Vibrant jewel tones like sapphire and emerald green add striking pops. Muted bright color palettes are an alternative if bold hues feel overwhelming.
What fabrics should I look for?
Natural, breathable fabrics that feel nice on your skin are best for all-day comfort in relaxed blazers. Linen, cotton, crepe, textured wovens and lightweight knits drape beautifully and are ideal for relaxed silhouettes. If you’ll be wearing the blazer for colder months, look for wool blends, corduroy or tweed.
What is the ideal fit and silhouette?
The best relaxed blazers have an easy, slightly oversized fit while still maintaining shape through the shoulders and waist. The ideal jacket should loosely skim your frame without looking sloppy. For petite women, avoid overly oversized styles that will swallow your figure. Look for shoulder pads that aren’t bulky or defined.
What are the best ways to style patterned relaxed blazers?
Go for clean and simple pairings like basic tees, tanks and button-downs to let your fun blazer shine. Roll up the sleeves and leave the jacket open over dresses and skirts when the weather is warm. In cooler months, pop the collar of a crisp button-down peeking out from the blazer. And don’t forget classic denim, whether dressed up with heels or casual with sneakers.
Patterned Relaxed Blazers Are So Stylish
We hope this overview of gorgeous patterned relaxed blazers has you excited to add one (or two… or five!) to your own closet. Whether you love playful florals, artsy prints or classic buffalo plaid, you’re sure to find a blazer to match your personal style.
The key is looking for high-quality fabrics that are soft and breathable, and opting for a slightly oversized silhouette that still flatters. Then have fun styling your blazer open and casual or sleekly closed up. You’ll love reaching for these patterned jackets all year long for effortless chic style.
What’s your favorite kind of pattern for relaxed blazers? Share your thoughts below – we’d love to hear from you!