Double-breasted blazers have cemented themselves as a closet staple for modern women looking to add polish and sophistication to their ensembles. With their sleek silhouettes punctuated by prominent lapels and multiple columns of buttons, they exude a tailored elegance perfect for the office or special occasions.
But finding the right double-breasted blazer for your personal style and body type can still prove tricky. With so many options on the market ranging from fast fashion to premium designer, it’s key to understand what flatters your figure and suits your needs.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll break down everything you need to know about choosing the perfect double-breasted blazer. You’ll learn tips on fit, fabric, quality, and more. We’ll also provide specific recommendations showcasing today’s best double-breasted blazers across a range of budgets and styles.
So whether you’re looking to invest in a timeless workwear staple or add a refined accent to your weekend wear, read on to discover your dream double-breasted blazer.
How to Choose the Right Double-Breasted Blazer for You
Double-breasted blazers epitomize smart sophistication. But not all styles will complement your body shape and wardrobe needs. Follow these tips to select a silhouette, fabric, and quality construction that brings out your best:
Consider Your Body Type
Double-breasted blazers come in a diverse range of silhouettes, from boxy and oversized to nipped-waist fits. Make sure to choose one that flatters your unique physique:
- Rectangle body shapes look great in double-breasted blazers that add curves. Seek out styles with defined waists or flared hems to balance your figure.
- Inverted triangle shapes can pull off double-breasted designs but should avoid excessive shoulder padding. Longer jacket lengths that skim your hips help even proportions.
- Hourglass figures can rock double-breasted blazers well. Accentuate your shape with tailored fits, belted waists, and sleek lapels.
- Round/apple body types benefit from double-breasted silhouettes with structure through the shoulders to balance full midsections. Try a longer jacket length.
In general, pay attention to lapel types and jacket lengths when trying on different double-breasted blazer styles. More relaxed, U-shaped shawl collars tend to flatter most figures. Longer lengths that hit below the hips elongate the body.
Consider How You’ll Style It
Think about how you plan on wearing your double-breasted blazer to determine the right fabric and formality:
- For work or formal wear, choose more structured wool, tweed, or cashmere styles. These luxe fabrics combined with crisp tailoring give off an elegantly polished look in professional settings.
- For a business casual office environment, you can likely get away with more relaxed chino, linen, or knit fabrics. Just avoid overly slouchy or casual design details.
- If wearing as a versatile weekend jacket, consider a medium-weight cotton or linen style you can dress up or down. Go for a relaxed fit in a neutral tone.
No matter your intended use, stick to solid neutrals or subtle patterns for the most versatility. Save the bold graphic prints for other statement pieces in your wardrobe.
Determine Your Budget
Double-breasted blazers span a wide spectrum of price points. Set realistic expectations based on what you can afford:
- Under $100: Fast fashion retailers like H&M and Zara offer trendy double-breasted styles at wallet-friendly prices. Expect mid-weight polyester fabrics and acceptable, if not outstanding, construction.
- $100 to $300: Contemporary brands like Theory, Sandro, and Reiss offer quality double-breasted blazers showcasing refined details and luxe fabrics like wool blends and velvet. Great for those wanting both style and value.
- $300 to $500: Premium designers like Armani, Rachel Zoe, and Veronica Beard provide investment-worthy double-breasted blazers with exceptional fit, rich fabrics, and meticulous tailoring. Perfect for building a timeless professional wardrobe.
- Over $500: Luxury houses like Chanel and Saint Laurent offer the pinnacle of double-breasted blazer construction and materials. These splurge-worthy statement pieces promise enduring sophistication.
Check the Quality
No matter the cost, always inspect the quality and construction of a double-breasted blazer before buying:
- Buttons should align precisely down the front, with even spacing between columns. Misalignments signal poor tailoring.
- Lapels should lay flat and smooth. Check that collars roll properly along the neckline as well.
- Fabric should feel substantial and tightly woven with no loose threads. Linings ought to be neat and made of quality materials.
- Shoulders should have structure but not excessive padding. Armholes should sit smoothly against the body without gaping.
With proper care for the fabric, a well-made double-breasted blazer can become a forever wardrobe piece. Invest in quality from the start for enduring elegance.
Top 5 Double-Breasted Women’s Blazers to Shop Now
Now that you know how to select the perfect double-breasted blazer for your needs, here are five of the best options to shop across various budgets and styles:
1. Best Value: H&M Essential Double-Breasted Blazer
Overview: H&M delivers an on-trend double-breasted blazer perfect for the budget-conscious. Offered in a relaxed, versatile silhouette, it’s a great option for elevating both office and casual looks without breaking the bank.
Style & Fit: This blazer epitomizes versatility with its relaxed yet tailored shape. The double-breasted front provides structure while the roomy arms allow layering over tops and sweaters. The oversized notched lapels add a contemporary vibe. The polyester fabric comes in versatile solid neutrals and patterns.
- Affordable price point while still delivering style
- Relaxed silhouette suits most body types
- Comes in range of colors, fabrics, and prints
- Polyester fabric and medium-grade construction
- Dry clean only
Where to Buy: H&M stores and website
2. Best Contemporary: Sandro Relaxed Fit Velvet Blazer
Overview: Known for chic Parisian-inspired styles, Sandro offers this on-trend relaxed-fit velvet blazer that exudes effortless sophistication. The luxe fabric and tailored silhouette strike the perfect balance between polish and approachability.
Style & Fit: Made from plush navy velvet, this blazer combines elements of traditional tailoring with a modern nonchalant vibe. Notched lapels, front welt pockets, and a double-breasted closure maintain a smart structured shape while the relaxed arms allow for laid-back layering. Gold lion’s head buttons provide eye-catching polish.
- Luxe velvet fabric provides texture and depth
- Relaxed fit flatters and shapes a range of figures
- Timeless notched lapels flatter most face shapes
- Decorative lion’s head buttons add flair
- Slimmer fit may not suit curvier frames
- Dry clean only fabric requires special care
Where to Buy: Sandro boutiques and website
3. Best Business: Theory Checked Double-Breasted Blazer
Overview: Theory is a go-to brand for modern professionals looking for refined, versatile workwear. This checked double-breasted blazer offers timeless sophistication perfect for the office or important events.
Style & Fit: Impeccably tailored from a wool and poly blend, this blazer combines a structured silhouette with a graphically modern print. The double-breasted front is accentuated by a nipped waist creating a smooth feminine shape. Notched lapels, flap pockets, and button cuffs maintain crisp polished details. The black and white Prince of Wales check pattern adds interest while remaining office-appropriate.
- Wool/poly blend provides comfortable structure
- Defined waist flatters most figures
- Graphic pattern adds visual interest
- Refined details perfect for the office
- Expensive investment piece
- Limited color and pattern options
- Dry clean only fabric requires special care
Where to Buy: Theory boutiques and website
4. Most Stylish: Veronica Beard Leandre Shawl Collar Blazer
Overview: Veronica Beard blazers mix traditional tailoring with modern playful twists. The Leandre blazer provides a sophisticated take on the classic double-breasted style thanks to a chic shawl collar and flawless fit.
Style & Fit: Made from a textured blend of virgin wool and stretch cotton, this blazer oozes refined edge. The contrast shawl collar provides a modern update to the classic double-breasted silhouette. Pronounced shoulders and a nipped waist create a contoured hourglass shape while the relaxed fit through the arms enables easy layering. The texture-woven fabric comes in versatile neutrals like black, navy, and heather gray.
- Shawl collar adds modern flair
- Superb tailoring combines structure and fluidity
- Rich textured fabric provides depth
- Relaxed arms allow layers
- Very expensive investment piece
- Dry clean only fabric
Where to Buy: Veronica Beard boutiques and website
5. Best Sustainable: Reformation Double-Breasted Blazer
Overview: Reformation creates stylish eco-friendly pieces like this oversized double-breasted blazer made from sustainable textiles. It delivers environmental responsibility without compromising on chic contemporary design.
Style & Fit: Following the oversized blazer trend, this relaxed style provides the laidback appeal of a boyfriend blazer with the polish of traditional tailoring. The structured shoulders offset by the roomy sleeves create a casually cool silhouette. A double-breasted closure and front welt pockets maintain a smart tailored sensibility. The Ray fabric blend feels broken-in soft.
- Made from sustainable Tencel and linen fabrics
- Oversized fit creates modern slouchy vibe
- Structured shoulders add shape
- Vintage-inspired durable fabric
- Limited color selection
- Runs large so sizing can be tricky
Where to Buy: Reformation boutiques and website
No matter your personal style, budget, or fit needs, this selection showcases the breadth of stylish double-breasted blazers available today. From timeless office-worthy jackets to laidback weekend options, you’re sure to discover your perfect match.
Double-Breasted Blazer FAQs
Still have some lingering questions about rocking the double-breasted blazer? Here we answer some of the most frequently asked questions:
How do I style a double-breasted blazer for the office?
For professional office wear, pair your double-breasted blazer with tailored trousers, a silky camisole or shell top, and heels or loafers. Stick to muted solids or subtle patterns and minimal accessories for the most refined desk-to-dinner look.
What if I’m petite – will a double-breasted blazer overwhelm my frame?
If you’re petite, avoid oversized or boxy fits which can dwarf your figure. Seek out double-breasted styles with customized tailoring for a tapered fit, princess seams to flatter curves, and smaller lapels and collar widths. Single button closures can also be less bulky. Tailor any regular jacket to reduce shoulder width and slim sleeves for the perfect fit.
Is a double-breasted blazer business casual appropriate?
Double-breasted blazers can work for business casual offices, especially in more relaxed chino, linen, or knit textiles. Opt for neutral solids or simple patterns and avoid overly slouchy fits. Pair with a nice blouse or sweater and dark denim or trousers. Add ballet flats for an approachable vibe.
What colors and patterns work for double-breasted blazers?
For versatility, stick to neutral solids like black, navy, gray, camel, or ivory. These easy match everything for work or weekends. If opting for a pattern, choose classic glen plaids, houndstooth, or subtle pinstripes in dark jewel tones for an elegant look. Avoid loud graphic prints, which come off less sophisticated.
How do I make my double-breasted blazer more casual?
Try wearing your double-breasted blazer with dark washed jeans and a tee or tank. Swap out tailored trousers for leggings or joggers. Add casual sneakers like Air Force 1s or Vans. Tote a cute canvas weekend bag instead of a briefcase. Stick to linen, jersey, or knit materials if possible. If your blazer has gold buttons, swapping them for black or silver can also make it feel less dressy.
Finding Your Refined Edge
With their strong-shouldered silhouettes and commanding rows of front buttons, double-breasted blazers project effortless power and sophistication. But finding that perfect alchemy of fit, quality, and style takes some savvy consideration.
Keep your body type, wardrobe needs, and budget in mind. Understand how details like lapels, hem lengths, and fabrics will flatter you. And inspect construction to invest in enduring quality.
The right double-breasted blazer acts as a timeless transformer piece. It can pull a casual look into sharper focus or make business attire feel fresh and modern. So take your time to discover that impeccably tailored match that helps you put your most powerful self forward. The enduring style legacy of the double-breasted blazer is worth the search.