Finding the right blazer for work can make a world of difference in how you present yourself as a professional. A fitted relaxed blazer is a stylish option that can take your office wardrobe to the next level. But with so many brands and options out there, knowing what to look for to find that perfect blazer can be tricky. This complete guide will walk you through everything you need to know – from identifying quality materials to reviewing the top recommended blazers for work to answering frequently asked questions. Armed with these tips, you’ll be ready to upgrade your office attire with one of the most versatile and stylish garments for women in the workplace.
A fitted relaxed blazer is the modern working woman’s not-so-secret weapon. Sharply tailored yet effortlessly comfortable, it’s the perfect piece for commanding respect without sacrificing personal style. For many professional women, finding that ideal blazer can seem like an endless pursuit. The cut needs to neatly define your shape while still offering ease of movement. The fabric should sweep smoothly over your curves without pulling or gaping. And the style needs to seamlessly transition from client meetings to office happy hours.
The right fitted relaxed blazer will boost your confidence and polish for big presentations, meetings with executives, or everyday wear in a business casual office. In this complete guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about how to choose flattering, high-quality fitted relaxed blazers for work. You’ll get recommendations for specific blazers in different price ranges, along with tips for identifying proper fit and material. We’ll also discuss easy ways to incorporate fitted blazers into work outfits and provide answers to frequently asked questions.
With the strategies in this guide, you’ll be able to shop smartly and find that perfect blazer for amplifying your professional style. So read on for expert advice to help build your work wardrobe with the best fitted relaxed blazers for the office.
How to Choose Fitted Relaxed Blazers for the Office
Fitted relaxed blazers have a tailored silhouette that gently defines the figure while still being stretchy and comfortable. This makes them an ideal choice for professional women’s workwear when compared to more restrictive suit jackets. When shopping for fitted blazers, keep the following tips in mind:
Look for these features to identify quality:
- Material: Wool, cotton, blends, and high-quality knits are best. Make sure the fabric is medium to high weight but stretches slightly. Blends incorporating wool or polyester are good options.
- Lining: Fully lined blazers hold their structure better. Satin, jacquard and printed linings elevate the look.
- Stitching: Clean, even stitching shows careful construction. Puckering, loose threads or uneven seams indicate lower quality.
- Buttons: Branded buttons, such as leather embossed logos, add style. Plastic buttons look cheap.
- Shoulder structure: Padding in the shoulders creates a shapely silhouette. Too much looks boxy, too little appears droopy.
A proper fit should include:
- Flattering shoulders: The seam hits right at the edge of your shoulder without sagging or constricting movement.
- Smooth chest and waist: Fabric skims your curves without pulling at the buttons, but isn’t overly loose. You should be able to move comfortably.
- Sleeve length: Sleeves should fall right at your wrist bone and not ride up when you lift your arms.
- Proper length: With arms at your sides, the blazer hem should fall near the hipbones for the most flattering line.
Strategize your search:
- Know your measurements: Bust, waist, hip and shoulder measurements will help you identify your best size across brands.
- Understand sizing: Most brands list size charts. Try a few options in your size range to compare fit. Sizes vary between designers.
- Order multiple sizes: When in doubt, buy 2-3 sizes and return what doesn’t work. Many online shops offer free returns.
- Read reviews: Customer feedback can reveal how items fit real people and help you determine your best size.
- Work with a tailor: Minor adjustments like shortening sleeves or nipping in the waist can customize the fit.
Tips for wearing fitted relaxed blazers to the office:
- Pair with ankle pants or a pencil skirt for a professional and polished silhouette. A sheath dress also beautifully complements the blazer shape.
- Choose leather loafers or low heels for easy, commuter-friendly shoes. Stylish flats also work well.
- Add a silky camisole or fitted t-shirt for necessary coverage under the blazer. Choose neutral, subtle colors.
- Carry a nice handbag or tote to bring the look together. Structured options balance the blazer’s soft drape.
- Limit accessories to avoid clutter: Simple jewelry, a nice watch, and a patterned scarf or pocket square polish the look without overdoing it.
- Steam or dry clean frequently to keep the blazer looking crisp. Hang on a padded hanger between wears to maintain the shoulder structure.
Top 5 Fitted Relaxed Blazers for the Office
Now that you know how to assess fit, fabric, quality and integrate fitted blazers into work outfits, let’s discuss some of the best options to add to your professional wardrobe. Here are five recommended fitted relaxed blazers that check all the boxes for style, quality and comfort:
1. Banana Republic Supima Stretch Blazer
This popular blazer from Banana Republic is crafted from Supima cotton with added stretch for incredible softness and flexibility. It comes in both solid neutrals and fun patterns like polka dots, camo and animal prints.
Colors/Patterns: Black, navy, olive, grey, assorted prints
- Soft Supima cotton with stretch offers comfort for all-day wear
- Range of patterns as well as classic solids for versatility
- High quality materials and construction
- Relaxed but tailored fit flatters most figures
- Runs at slightly higher price point
- Limited size range may not work for petite or plus sizes
This is one of the best choices for an investment blazer that can be dressed up or down seamlessly. The stretch fabric and polished silhouette make it perfect for the office.
2. Ann Taylor Crepe Blazer
A favorite brand for professional apparel, Ann Taylor’s crepe blazer features elegant seam details along with comfortable stretch. The drapey crepe fabric resists wrinkles easily.
Sizes: 00-18 (also offered in petite and tall sizes)
Colors: Black, navy, grey, red, white, olive
- High quality crepe fabric is both soft and structured
- Subtle seam details add visual interest
- Wide size range accommodates many body types
- Stretch material moves easily for all day wear
- Dry clean only fabric requires special care
- Only offered in solid colors rather than prints
From the office to evenings out, Ann Taylor’s crepe blazer transitions seamlessly while offering a perfect flattering fit. The wide size range ensures most women can find their ideal match.
3. Target All In Motion Athletic Fit Blazer
This budget-friendly option from Target offers performance features like sweat-wicking fabric, stretch cuffs and princess seams. The athletic cut flatters curvy figures.
Colors: Black, navy, olive, gray
- Lightweight performance fabric breathes well and stretches
- Athletic cut designed for comfort in motion
- Very affordable compared to designer brands
- Extended size range accommodates plus sizes
- Fabric pills easily and may look worn quickly
- Only offered in neutral colors, not prints or bold hues
For shoppers on a budget, this is a great inexpensive blazer with performance features to keep you cool and comfortable all workday. The extended sizes are another nice perk.
4. MM LaFleur Foster Blazer
MM LaFleur is devoted to professional women’s workwear. The Foster blazer has a menswear-inspired silhouette with notch collar and double vents. The fabric is matte and resists wrinkles.
Colors: Black, navy, green, red, neutral patterns
- High quality wool blend holds structure extremely well
- Versatile menswear-inspired style
- Wrinkle-resistant fabric
- Extended size range for perfect fit
- Dry clean only
- Higher price point
For a sleek, sophisticated blazer with impeccable tailoring, MM LaFleur’s Foster style is worth the investment. The fine wool fabric gives this a luxury feel.
5. Good American Oversized Blazer
This oversized style from Good American provides comfortable room through the waist. The boyfriend-style silhouette looks stylish when paired with fitted pants or a pencil skirt.
Colors: Black, navy, camel, olive
- Oversized fit allows relaxed comfort
- Can be dressed up or down easily
- Extended size range includes plus sizes
- Affordable compared to similar styles
- May overwhelm petite figures
- Fabric wrinkles easily
For days when you want a polished look without constriction, this oversized blazer offers plenty of room through the waist and hips while still looking put-together. The size range has options for all body types.
FAQs and Answers About Fitted Relaxed Blazers
Finding that perfect blazer involves answering some key questions. Here we’ll cover some of the frequently asked topics about shopping for and wearing fitted relaxed blazers:
Q: How can I make my blazer look more business casual?
A: Opt for an unlined, lightly structured blazer in a draped knit fabric rather than wool suiting. Pair with dark jeans, flats or loafers, and modest jewelry for a professional but approachable look.
Q: Should fitted relaxed blazers be dry cleaned or machine washed?
A: Read garment care labels carefully, as instructions vary. Wool, crepe or lined blazers will require dry cleaning. Some unlined cotton blends may be machine washable in a lingerie bag. When possible, avoid washing blazers frequently to preserve the structure.
Q: What colors and patterns work best for office blazers?
A: Neutrals like black, navy and tan are safest for professional settings. Light greys, blush and olive also work well. Patterns like subtle checks, windowpanes and polka dots inject interest while still looking polished and appropriate for work.
Q: What type of top should you wear under a fitted relaxed blazer?
A: Choose tailored, simple tops rather than frilly blouses. Button-down shirts, shells, jersey t-shirts and sleeveless fitted tops all pair well with blazers. Make sure necklines are modest. Silky camisoles give coverage for low v-neck blazers.
Q: Can I wear a fitted relaxed blazer with jeans?
A: Yes, fitted blazers pair perfectly with dark-wash, straight leg or bootcut jeans for weekend style. Add ballet flats or ankle boots and a nice handbag for an elevated yet casual ensemble.
Q: How often should fitted blazers be steamed or pressed?
A: Ideally, weekly steaming or pressing helps maintain structure in the shoulders and prevents wrinkling. Hang blazers on padded hangers between wears and put them on briefly to allow the fabric to relax before wearing for a crisp look.
Q: What are some affordable fitted blazer brands for office wear?
A: Good options for quality blazers under $100 include Target’s Who What Wear line, Old Navy, ASOS, Uniqlo, and sale racks at Ann Taylor, Banana Republic and J.Crew. Check reviews and size charts when ordering discounted blazers online.
Q: What is the difference between a blazer and a suit jacket?
A: A blazer is structured but made from more comfortable, flexible fabrics. Suit jackets use more formal wool suiting and match with trousers of the same fabric. Blazers offer a bit more versatility for integrating into outfits beyond suits.
Finding the ideal fitted relaxed blazer for your professional wardrobe may take some trial and error. But armed with the tips in this guide on what details to look for and how to assess fit and quality, you’ll be able to shop smartly. Investing in one or two well-made blazers that fit your body perfectly can tremendously upgrade your work style.
The top recommended blazers provide options across budgets and styles. Look for tailored structure with slight stretch, quality fabrics and linings, and clean silhouettes to pair with your office attire. Follow our advice on integrating blazers into work outfits along with proper care.
With your new perfectly fitted relaxed blazer, you’ll feel polished, stylish and comfortable striding into any meeting or presentation. A quality blazer amplifies your professional presence and confidence like no other garment. Use this guide to find your new favorite power piece today!