Weekends are meant for relaxation and fun. After a long work week stuffed into stiff business attire, the last thing you want to wear on your precious days off is another boxy, restrictive blazer. That’s where the magic of unstructured relaxed blazers comes in.
These cool, casual blazers are specially designed for weekend comfort, with a loose, slouchy shape that moves with you. Free of any inner padding or lining, unstructured blazers maximize mobility and breathability. The softer shoulder and overall relaxed silhouette ensures you stay cozy while still looking pulled-together.
Unstructured blazers allow you to embrace that carefree, relaxed vibe that weekends are all about. But don’t let their laidback style fool you – these jackets still elevate any outfit with a touch of refined polish. From brunch to date night and everything in between, a great unstructured blazer is an effortless way to take your weekend style up a notch.
This article will introduce the top 5 unstructured relaxed blazers perfect for weekend wear. You’ll discover the key features of each jacket along with tips for styling them to suit your personal taste. By the end, you’ll be ready to trade stiff suits and dress blazers for the casual cool comfort of an unstructured blazer this weekend and beyond.
What Exactly Are Unstructured Blazers?
Before diving into the specific styles, let’s look at what defines unstructured blazers in general:
- Silhouette – Unstructured blazers have an intentionally relaxed, slightly oversized shape that hangs loosely rather than hugging the body. The shoulders are soft and not padded, allowing for easy movement.
- Fabric – Materials like linen, cotton, jersey, and suede provide a soft, flexible feel. Many are unlined or only partially lined for maximum comfort.
- Construction – Without interior padding, interfacing, or tailoring, these blazers maintain a casual, slouchy profile. Some may have a touch of structure around the shoulders or collar.
- Details – Features like patch pockets, shawl lapels, uneven hems, and textured button accents enhance the laidback vibe. Gold, brass, or leather buttons add polish.
The result is a blazer with plenty of cozy comfort built right in – the perfect companion for weekends and relaxed occasions. Now let’s look at five fantastic options for unfailingly cool weekend style.
1. Khaki Utility Unstructured Blazer
This versatile khaki utility blazer epitomizes effortless weekend style. The cotton-linen fabric provides softness with a touch of structure to maintain the classic blazer silhouette. Large front patch pockets enhance the military-inspired utilitarian look.
With its light sand color, this unstructured blazer works year-round for day or night. Pair it with white jeans for a crisp summer look or layer it over a turtleneck when temperatures drop. The neutral color pairs perfectly with bold pops of color too – think fiery red pumps or a cobalt blue handbag.
Gold button accents add just enough polish to elevate the casual vibe. This khaki utility blazer gives you room to move while still looking smart and put-together all weekend long.
2. Black Linen-Blend Unstructured Blazer
For the quintessential weekend blazer, look no further than this black linen-blend option. The lightweight linen fabric blended with a touch of breathable cotton creates a perfectly relaxed drape. Notch lapels and front welt pockets maintain a tailored edge.
This unstructured blazer transfers seamlessly from day to night – just swap out t-shirts and jeans for camisoles and trousers. The black color also slims the silhouette, making it ideal for petite frames.
Leave it open and belt it over sundresses for an off-duty model vibe. Or close it up and add cheeky stacks of bangles for gallery openings and dinner dates. This black linen-blend blazer is weekend perfection.
3. Navy Cotton Unstructured Blazer with Gold Buttons
A navy blazer is a wardrobe staple, but this navy cotton version puts a relaxed twist on the classic style. The mid-weight cotton fabric hangs loosely while maintaining structure. Notch lapels and dual back vents keep the tailored look.
Shiny gold buttons update the preppy feel with a hint of sophistication. The versatile navy color means you can dress it up with trousers or down with jeans seamlessly. Pop the collar and pair with white denim for a Riviera-inspired ensemble.
Or button it up over a printed dress to offset florals with classic polish. The navy offers endless styling potential, making this blazer a perfect addition to your weekend lineup.
4. Grey Oversized Plaid Unstructured Blazer
Say hello to the ultimate weekend statement piece – this oversized grey plaid blazer. The textured fabric and slouchy silhouette exude laidback cool. Dropped shoulders and a roomy profile ensure total comfort for lounging or socializing.
Make the plaid pattern the star by pairing with simple basics like white tees, black leggings, and minimal jewelry. Or layer over a contrasting floral dress for an unexpected mix of pretty and edgy.
Shawl lapels and cuffed sleeves create a chic finish. For weekend style with an avant-garde twist, pull on this oversized grey plaid blazer and prepare to make an entrance wherever you go.
5. Tan Suede Moto Unstructured Blazer
Who says moto jackets are just for bikers? This tan suede moto blazer brings a cool dose of attitude to any outfit. The buttery-soft suede provides luxe texture while the asymmetrical zipper and epaulets add just enough edge.
Shrug it on over floral maxi dresses or pair with distressed denim and plain white tees – the styling options are endless. For chillier evenings, wear it over a turtleneck sweater dress with tights and boots.
The tan color works beautifully with black, brown, neutrals, or bright accent colors. Whether you’re going for a touch of grunge or modern boho flair, this moto jacket delivers on effortless weekend vibes.
Now that you’ve discovered the 5 most versatile unstructured blazers for weekends, it’s time to learn how to choose and style them like a pro.
How to Choose the Perfect Unstructured Blazer for You
With so many factors like fabric, color, fit, and details, choosing an unstructured blazer can feel overwhelming. Keep these tips in mind to select your perfect weekend topper:
Consider Your Needs
- Do you want a neutral like black, tan, or navy to pair with everything? Or a statement color or print?
- Will this become your new go-to weekend jacket or more of an occasional statement piece?
- Do you need something dressy enough for dinners out or strictly casual flair?
- What colors and patterns in your closet need a complementary blazer?
Mind the Fabric
- Lightweight cotton, linen, jersey, and suede are common choices.
- Look for soft, breathable fabrics with some drape but enough structure to hold the blazer shape.
- Unlined or partially lined fabrics maximize comfort and flexibility.
- Suede and textured fabrics create visual interest while knits offer stretch.
Focus on the Fit
- Unstructured blazers are cut intentionally loose, especially through the shoulders and body.
- Some brands design cropped lengths, otherwise opt for slightly oversized through the body and sleeves.
- The blazer should not pull at the button and allow you to move freely.
Flaunt the Details
- Shawl lapels, patch pockets, accent buttons and creative stitching add cool flair.
- Cuffed sleeves provide a more casual finish.
- Contrast lining or piping gives a pop of color.
- Metallic buttons inject polish while exposed zippers equal edge.
Nail the Length
- Cropped styles look great with high-waisted bottoms on petite frames.
- Longline options complement tall figures or style well over dresses/skirts.
- Medium lengths in the hip zone flatter most body types.
- Fully unlined is ideal for maximum comfort and breathability.
- Partial lining around the upper back and shoulders offers light structure.
- Try both lined and unlined to see which you prefer.
Mind Your Budget
- Quality unstructured blazers run $100-$500+ depending on materials.
- Sale shopping can yield great deals on higher end brands.
- Secondhand stores are another way to score designer finds at lower prices.
By keeping these factors and your personal style in mind, you can zero in on the perfect unstructured blazer. Now let’s get to the fun part – how to wear it!
Mastering Effortless Chic: How to Style Unstructured Blazers
The right unstructured blazer transforms every outfit into an effortlessly cool statement. Follow these tips to develop your signature weekend style:
Contrast with Fitted Tops
Balance the relaxed blazer shape with form-fitting tops like:
- Turtlenecks – Slim sleeves complement a roomy blazer.
- Tank tops – Add a feminine touch with lacy, silky or embellished versions.
- Crop tops – A sliver of exposed skin looks fresh with an oversized blazer.
- Halter tops – The uncovered shoulders and back contrast the blazer beautifully.
- Blouses – Choose flowy with a front tuck or cropped and boxy.
Pair with Weekend Basics
- Jeans – Lean into the model off-duty vibe with perfectly broken-in denim.
- Leggings or joggers – Luxe athletic wear deserves an equally luxurious blazer on top.
- Shorts – Leg-baring shorts balance a slouchy oversized blazer.
- T-shirts – Graphic tees and plain white crews keep the look laidback.
Style for Transitional Weather
- Slip dresses – An unstructured blazer smartens up billowy silhouettes.
- Rompers/jumpsuits – Sophisticate a playful one-piece by layering a blazer.
- Dungarees – Crisp poplin fabric offers a smart contrast under a slouchy blazer.
Top Off Pretty Pieces
- Floral dresses – Toughen up florals and ruffles with a relaxed moto or utility blazer.
- Maxi dresses/skirts – Boho goddess meets urban rebel.
- Slip skirts – Add interest by wearing the blazer open and belted over a slip skirt.
Have Fun with Accompaniments
- Sunnies – Go full celeb off-duty vibes with oversized sunnies.
- Hats – Floppy sun hats, baseball caps, fedoras all look cooler with an unstructured blazer.
- Sneakers or sandals – High top Converse, Birkenstocks, minimalist white sneakers.
- Jewelry – Layer long necklaces, piles of bangles, hoops.
- Handbags – Contrast colors make the biggest impact.
Dress It Up or Down
Half the beauty of unstructured blazers lies in their versatility. Dress up for nights out or keep it low-key for errands with these tips:
- Pair with slacks, trousers, or leather leggings.
- Heels instantly elevate the look.
- Metallic accessories add glam.
- Try fitted bodysuits or camisoles underneath.
- Style with straight leg or wide leg trousers.
- Lean into the relaxed vibe with joggers and sneakers.
- Roll up the sleeves and keep accessories minimal.
- Wear over hoodies and graphic tees.
- Cuff jeans or let them stack messily over sneakers.
- Try menswear-inspired oxford shoes.
The styling possibilities are endless once you embrace the laidback cool of an unstructured blazer. Play with contrasting textures, colors and accessories to make it your own.
Now that you know how to choose and style the ultimate weekend blazers, let’s cover any remaining questions.
FAQs About Unstructured Blazers
Are unstructured blazers warm enough for spring and fall?
It depends on the fabric. Lighter cottons and linens won’t provide much warmth, but cozy knits, textured wools, and suede options make great shoulder season blazers. Layer them over long sleeve tops and tights or trousers on chillier days.
Can I wear an unstructured blazer to the office or formal events?
Most unstructured blazers skew quite casual, but certain styles could work in creative or business casual offices. Look for versions with touch more structure, minimal distressing, and polished details like clean lines and metallic buttons. But traditional suiting environments may require something more tailored.
What colors and patterns work best for unstructured blazers?
Versatile neutrals like black, navy, tan, grey and khaki provide the most styling mileage. Pastels also pair well with many wardrobe colors. For patterns, small-scale prints read more polished than oversized graphics. Plaids, windowpanes, herringbone and subtle stripes make good pattern options.
What type of top should you wear under an unstructured blazer?
Part of the appeal lies in the contrast between the blazer’s loose silhouette and your other layers. Any fitted top works beautifully – tanks, camis, form-fitting tees, turtlenecks and blouses all balance the oversized shape. Cropped lengths help highlight the waist. Go for sleek materials like silk, leather, or neoprene for nighttime glam.
How should an unstructured blazer fit?
The key lies in intentionally oversized proportions. Look for soft shoulders without much structure, room through the upper body, and sleeves a touch longer than a suit jacket. Some brands design cropped hem lengths, otherwise seek a looser drape through the hips. It should feel relaxed – not tight in the shoulders, arms, or fastened around the waist.
Does belt loop placement matter on an unstructured blazer?
Belt loops on the back hips rather than the waist allow you to cinch a blazer creatively over dresses, rompers, etc. But classic blazers feature belt loops at the natural waistline seam. Either placement works with the right styling – just keep in mind you may need to get creative belting non-traditional loop placements.
Embrace Effortless Weekend Style
Blazers no longer mean stiff, corporate conformity. Unstructured relaxed styles represent the epitome of laidback refinement for weekends and all your casual occasions.
Follow this guide to choose the perfect fabric, fit, and details to suit your style. Discover how to wear unstructured blazers for day or night, dressing up or down seamlessly.
Embrace the versatility of an unlined blazer to upgrade everything from leggings and tees to florals, slip dresses, and jumpsuits. Say goodbye to restricted movement and greet weekends with the graceful ease of an unstructured jacket.
Here’s to weekends as they should be – comfy, cool, and free of any sartorial imposition. With the right unstructured blazer in your wardrobe rotation, effortless style every weekend awaits.